Hollywood APK Compiler 1.0 released

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Hollywood APK Compiler 1.0 released

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Sure, go ahead. Maybe it's a help for other users too.
lazi

Post by lazi »

Hollywood APK Compiler Setup (The subjective story)

(I have to say that I am not speaking english very well, so if the following has not understandable in any way for the reader is not her/his fault.)

After bought the compiler I got a mail with a link to a setup.exe from AirsoftSoftwair's website and an attached apkcompiler.key file.

Transferred the setup file along with the keyfile to a windows7 machine and started the installation process.

First I have decided to install fraps to grab screenshots of the whole event. It is unfortunately could be get by a file named setup.exe. It is so typical on the dark side, that developers or the packaging departments cannot use relevant file names.
So there was two nice setup.exe files, but the APKCompiler has got a familiar clapperboard icon, so that saved my moment.

It is just a side note that at least two minutes of trying I have not been able to use fraps (it just did not grabbed anything), which is maybe the cause of my insufficient experience with computers. 30 years do not count :) so no pictures with cute windows icons, start menus, progress bars, administrator requests etc.

The APK Compiler install was a peace of cake. At the end on the desktop a shortcut is shown with the name Hollywood APK Compiler. Lets start it, and open Help menu item which contains everything you should know for the rest of the process.

The first thing you should download according to the guide is Java SE Development kit. There is no links in the guide, so you are on your own to find these installers. As often can be heard "Google is your friend", so I checked the first result of the search where a jdk-8u74-windows-i586.exe was my gift. It is installed without any pain, so I looked for the next step.

The second important piece was the Android SDK and as the guide tells you, a stand-alone sdk tools are sufficient. Search again and I found that there is a developer.android.com site where the needed SDK tools are in an installer_r24.4.1-windows.exe file. Again a file name which will be completely meaningless after tomorrow.
Selected the API 10 components as the guide notes, and left the rest. The progress took ages. The only excitement was made by a log message "Stopping ADB server failed (code -1).". What the hell is that and how will it affect the rest of the day was the question which was still unanswered while the mighty Android SDK Manager is completed the job.
Almost forget that I should remember the installation path which is buried deeply in a remarkably user friendly one in the c:\Users\fs\AppData\Local\Android\ folder.

The next one is AndroidNDK. While in my native language the NDK acronym was used for the communist Eastern Germany (Német Demokratikus Köztársaság) this time as I thought it gives the possibility for the Android developer to use native C, C++ code instead of plain Java.
The downloaded file name is surprisingly meaningful, like android-ndk-r10e-windows-x68.exe. Congratulations for that. However you should be cautious starting that executable because as the guide said it has problems if installed into a folder containing spaces moreover if you start it directly after download it extracts gazillion files to the browser's download folder without a question. Ok, I moved the unpacked files which are fortunately at least was in a separate folder, to the c: root and just hoped that it will not release the "youdon'thavepermissionforthatfolder" monster later. Of course it took ages to move the folder because that operating system of fine arts first counted all the gazillion files to calculate the required time for the user's pleasure. It just failed because the folder movement was inside the same partition so the really requested task was finished in a glimpse, and I was too slow to note the message that obviouly told me that it will need 0 seconds to complete.

Ahh, and the space character in a file path. Really a tough problem of nowadays computing industry.

We are surely progressing, and the following step is installing Cygwin again to a 'spaceless' place. The Cygwin site doesn't contains a download page but an Install/Update page where the setup-x86.exe file lives. This can be easily differentiate from the HollywoodAPK installer and the fraps installer hence the '-x86' in the name. Thanks for that!
The package selector window is differ slightly from the screenshot in the guide, which could be for the long time that it created (two weeks), so it explains why no links in that guide.

These dependencies are fast moving targets and at this point only one is missing, the Apache Ant. It is zip file with a folder inside it which can be easily extracted even such a 'spacy' place as 'Program Files'.

With all the required stuff installed only the the keychain generation remained, because I didn't wanted to cable connect my phone to the pc, just wanted to see my Hollywood script in a form of APK as soon as possible.

The information should be entered into APK Compiler's Settings tab is quite straightforward and it finish all the hassle. However it required me one more step: installing Hollywod itself.
Of course the CD was home and the pc is at my workplace scenairo forced me to redownload Hollywood6, unpack it, create iso, transfer to the pc from my 'A1 workstation' [sic], install iso mounter, install HW6... huh. :-)
(Thanks for Andreas to still hold that download accounts!)

Finally ready to compile hwa to APK. And it can be done from this time without any problem.

Because I still have not have any Android targetted finished script just tried a small w.i.p. game of mine. It has a lot of small image loading preprocessor at the start. After compile and transport the APK to my phone, it can be installed from the standard filing tool of the system. Because the icon panel was untuched in the compiler it used the standard clap icon for my application.

Starting the app a nice Hollywood logo popped up for a second then black screen was there quite a long time which I suspect that the many preprocessor commands are the guilty. After then the program started and does just like the same what it does on my NG Amiga. Well done!
lazi

Post by lazi »

@Andreas

Just two things:

Please give some real name for the next update's installer

Maybe the Hollywood logo could stay there while all the preprocessor commands finish.
airsoftsoftwair

AFAIR setup.exe was chosen deliberately because then Windows will automatically run the program in administrator mode. Enforcing administrator mode for executables with "normal" names requires extra work so I just went for the easiest way :)
TheMartian

Post by TheMartian »

Hi

What are the chances of a 'glgalore.hwp' for Android? I notice that there is currently no plugin version listed on the download page. So running programs with OpenGL/glgalore code on the tablet is obviously not possible. But is it in the cards?

regards
Jesper
airsoftsoftwair

TheMartian wrote:What are the chances of a 'glgalore.hwp' for Android?
The problem is that Android is using OpenGL ES which AFAICS is quite different from the OpenGL 1.1 APIs wrapped by GL Galore so it's rather unlikely at the moment...
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

For OpenGL 1.x compatibility on OpenGL ES, try glShim. Also, since the new version of Warp3D Nova for AOS4 supports shaders, perhaps Regal will someday come in handy since the planned wrapper for it is also OpenGL ES 2. These tools have helped Raspberry Pi and OpenPandora owners get around the OpenGL ES driver limitations for a while now.
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
airsoftsoftwair

Thanks, I'll see if this could be used.
bitRocky

Post by bitRocky »

Do I need the windows version of Hollywood to use the APK compiler?
airsoftsoftwair

Yes.