Execute() enhancement

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
Allanon

Execute() enhancement

Post by Allanon »

I've two proposal to enhance the Execute() command:
1. Give the possibility to capture directly into Hollywood the executed program output
captured_output = Execute(program_name)

2. Implement the possibility to attach a callback for every line captured from the executed command

I don't know if this is easy or not to implement but could be really usefull, for example when launching a program that do long tasks and print out the progresses of the elaboration (encoders, archiver, and so on are good examples) :)
JurassicC

Re: Execute() enhancement

Post by JurassicC »

Agreed as I'm currently redirecting the output from a called program to a text file, then reading the text file back in to see what the ouput was.
AmigaOne X1000 - RadeonHD 7870, 4GB RAM - AmigaOS 4.1ß
AmigaOne X5000 - Radeon R7 250, 2GB RAM - AmigaOS 4.1ß
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

And another example of use would be that every now and then in Christiandevs.com they are talking of community project, but problem is one programs C, one Java, while another Blitz and me Hollywood. What i have been thinking is that if Hollywood could return return value of execute, then that would give possiblity to make for example sports game. Each community member who wishes to participate would make one sports challenge with whatever language they wish and then Hollywood would just start their challenge and after challenge ends, points would be returned and next challenge (execute) started.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

This would surely be nice but I'm afraid that this could rather be complicated too implement :)
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Andreas wrote:This would surely be nice but I'm afraid that this could rather be complicated too implement :)
The hope will never die :D
This could let us implement nice apps saving us to write tons of code :mrgreen: