Freely downloadable Hollywood Player PLEASE !!!

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
pecaN

Freely downloadable Hollywood Player PLEASE !!!

Post by pecaN »

Hi Andreas,
could you please tell me why Player isn't freely distributable as stated in docs ? I think this would help Hollywood get more userd and customers !! BoingPairs, Eurography or DecBinHex, people always complained about the size of the executables. I tried to explain that the player is linked to the exe but with no result - and honestly, i think they are right... ( user Polluks on amiga-news.de wrote "2 MB fur DecBinHex ? Traurig" - that's "2MB for DecBinHex? Sad" in english) ...when I compiled decbinhex as applet, it has only 44kb!!! and the worst - if you compile even the 2-line code :

NPrint("Hello World")
WaitLeftMouse

it has ALMOST 2MB !!! This is absolutely unacceptable i am afraid... :-(

So i know that you probably must have some reason why player hasn't been available so far but it really would be fine if we can distribute applets... users would download player for their platform and put it eg. to C: and we would save applets with icon of a project a nd the player would be assigned to it...

pecan
Allanon

Re: Freely downloadable Hollywood Player PLEASE !!!

Post by Allanon »

I'd like to have Hollywood player downloadable too, but I'd like to ask: why 2Mb is unacceptable?
Too big to download? Or too big for our Amiga/AROS/MOS or anything else supported?
Please don't take me wrong, I have Amiga in my heart, but I think that we must evolve a bit or we will die ;)
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Hi Allanon,
don't be afraid, i would never take you wrong, because you are perfect programming colleague and skilled and helpful programmer !! Anyway, i used the same arguments when i discussed it with my critics... but really, i must insist on that - 2MB are really too much for a HelloWorld proggy... Eurography has 3,5mb but with many pics and mp3 linked to the exe file!!! so without it it has almost the same size as the 2-line code... and imagine that all mui apps would have to be distributed with the whole mui, or sdl progs with full sdl package linked to it... nono, I hope that Andreas will not take me wrong, Hollywood is probably the best app ever released for Amiga and flavours but it would be a great pity to kill its potential...so please Andreas consider this... pecaN
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

Hello,

I think like pecaN, but it will be much better if in compilation option, we could switch off fonction of hollywood compiler like Dos function/display function/etc..., i think we win more in speed and in size of compiled program.

I think when we use for example, double buffer technic, in the compiled programm we are the 2 over commannd technique (sprite/layer) compiled in prg or we don't use sprite and layer command, so... we win surely here in size of compiled file ;-)

have I true?
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

To ArtBlink : yeah, you are right ! ;)
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

I think the ArtBink toughts was really usefull if possible to be implemented(I tought that too but never writed...)...
Only Andreas can tell if that was possible however... :)
Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

I think that the best evolution HW can get is to have a real compiler instead of the player linked with the source code :lol:
I know! I'm asking too much, but who knows! :D
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

+1 Allanon
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Code: Select all

I think that the best evolution HW can get is to have a real compiler instead of the player linked with the source code 
It is a real compiler. The source code is not linked to the player! Hollywood compiles scripts into a special CPU independent byte code. Similar to Java, but slower because there is no JIT.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Well, so I have to apologize because I've misunderstood completely the engine behind Hollywood!
Sorry Andreas!