More freedom for vector graphics

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
lazi

More freedom for vector graphics

Post by lazi »

We can create vectorgraphics and draw it to a vector layer.
It would be nice if we could use ConvertToBrush to make a vector brush from vector layer, or even better from vector layers to create multicolour vector brushes.

With the ability to create vector brushes, the next wish would be to save it as svg files.

May the to-do list can have these features?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: More freedom for vector graphics

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Yes, some improvements would certainly be nice here, although SVG export is really not difficult to do. You could even do that in Hollywood but Hollywood would probably have to offer a function like IteratePath() or so which would run a callback for every element in the path...
lazi

Post by lazi »

IteratePath() would be nice, but while I can load svg only to vectorbrush and not to a path, it does not help to modify it or save it to a vector file.
If I create the path obviously have the coordinates to do whatever.
The missing link is between a path and a vectorbrush. Yes, I can display path with DrawPath, but it would be easier sometimes to convert to vectorbrush and handle in the same manner with other brushes.
On the other hand, if there will be IteratePath() than a ConverToPath() would be cool for vectorbrushes.
airsoftsoftwair

Well, loading SVGs into Hollywood paths certainly won't come because that's a hell of work. Hollywood paths are very limited in functionality in comparison to what SVG can do. Concerning vector brushes, Hollywood doesn't really know anything about them because they're usually handled by plugins. They're pretty much a black box to Hollywood. It would be possible to allow Hollywood paths to be converted into vector brushes but definitely not the other way round because Hollywood has no idea about the contents of vector brushes.
lazi

Post by lazi »

possible to allow Hollywood paths to be converted into vector brushes
That would be enough I think. For a multi coloured vector drawing that would be great help to handle it in one object.
airsoftsoftwair

Code: Select all

- New: PathToBrush() allows you to convert one (or more) path object(s) into a vector brush; the
  individual paths can be given different colors and drawing styles which is quite a powerful
  feature to create multi-coloured paths by combining them in a vector brush; alternatively,
  ConvertToBrush() also supports a #VECTORPATH source now; usage is similar to the new PathToBrush()
  command
- New: PathItems() returns an iterator function which you can use together with a generic for loop
  to iterate over all items in a path object
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Good news! :)
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
ntromans

Post by ntromans »

Great to see those addtions to 7.0. So will it be possible to save out vector brushes at some point as SVG? I'm currently working on program which makes use of vector graphics and to be able to save as SVG would be incredibly useful.

Cheers,
Nigel.
airsoftsoftwair

I think an SVG saver could be implemented rather quickly using the new PathItems() function.