Resizable Windows with native scrollbar

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
zylesea

Resizable Windows with native scrollbar

Post by zylesea »

I would love if Hollywood would seggregate actual window size from the display size.
Aim of that is to provide an easy and native window scrolling function.

My suggestion is to expand the DISPLAY primitive with a window size option - like that:

Code: Select all

@DISPLAY 1, { Title = "my title",width=600, height=2000,  Color= #WHITE, mode="windowed", winwidth=600, winheight=400, minwidth=400, minheight=200} 
Would something like that be possible? I think it would be a great new feature to make programming more easy and give the programs a more native/better polished look. Custom build Window scrolling functions rather suck IMHO. May conflict somehow with some other options like sizeable though...

To avoid such conflicts adding a (maybe optional) primitive WINDOW that determines the actual window size - which can differ from display size could help.
For example something like that

@DISPLAY 1, { Title = "my title",width=600, height=1000, Color= #WHITE, hidden=True } 
@WINDOW  1, {1, width=600, height=400, minwidth=400, minheight=200 }

A window gets an id and a handle to an actual display. Furhermore you would need a createwindow() function - but probavly nothing more
I.e. if using a window you would call createwindow() instead of createdisplay() which would do exactly the same as create display but actually visually show a fraction of the display only.
All other functions could stay unchanged. I.e you work with the display just as you do now. but not the entire display gets show. Abit more complicated and with more overhead, but probably clearer seggregated.

If such windows that show a part of the actual display will get implemented the restriction of the displaysize to the actual screen size should get circumvented somehow.

Maybe as 3rd option something like this:

@VIRTUALDISPLAY (1,  Title = "my title",width=600, height=4000, winwidth=600, winheight=400, minwidth=400, minheight=200, Color= #WHITE)
Enabeling virtualdisplays being bigger than the screen resolution.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Resizable Windows with native scrollbar

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

You can already use MUI Royale to achieve this. Just set the [url:http://www.hollywood-mal.com/docs/html/ ... ller_.html]Window.UseRightBorderScroller[/url] and then use a Prop object. There is an example in the MUI Royale distribution which demonstrates this feature (in Examples/Hollywood/Scrollbar.hws). But of course it's only working on AmigaOS and derivatives...
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

airsoftsoftwair wrote:You can already use MUI Royale to achieve this. Just set the [url:http://www.hollywood-mal.com/docs/html/ ... ller_.html]Window.UseRightBorderScroller[/url] and then use a Prop object. There is an example in the MUI Royale distribution which demonstrates this feature (in Examples/Hollywood/Scrollbar.hws). But of course it's only working on AmigaOS and derivatives...
And that's why I was asking for something inbuild in Hollywood itself. Most Hollywooders (me included) probably have Amiga et al as primary goal (and are happy with MUI Royale), but big part of Hollywoods sexiness is the multi-OS approach.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I agree it would be nice to have but it's of course a lot of work because it is highly platform-dependent and I don't think that X11 windows support scrollbars. You'd probably need some higher level toolkit like GTK for that on Linux but then the whole display code would have to be routed through GTK. On AmigaOS, Win32 and Mac it's probably easier to implement.