More functions to see linked files

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
jap

More functions to see linked files

Post by jap »

Could you make OpenFile(), Exists(), and all file reading functions see files linked into an executable?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: More functions to see linked files

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

OpenFile() should already be able to open linked files. Of course, only if mode is set to #MODE_READ. Writing to linked files is not possible.
jap

Post by jap »

You are right, my mistake :oops: I had OpenFile and ReadChr calls inside an "If Exists ( path$ ) ... EndIf" structure. They can see the linked files but not Exists.
jap

Post by jap »

Any progress on this matter?
I noticed that IsPicture() does not see the linked files either.
airsoftsoftwair

Are you using an older version? In Hollywood 5.0 both Exists() and IsPicture() work fine with linked files.
jap

Post by jap »

No, I'm using version 5.0 (19.2.12).

Is there a way to make sure that the files really are part of the executable by examining the executable, or something?

The files I've linked into the executable are in a subdirectory (total of 1062 files) and I'm trying to access them like this: IsPicture ( "data/image1.png" ). The database file should be okay. I've made an AmigaDOS script which creates the database file with a List command. It produces a file like this (with 1062 lines, of course ):

data/image1.png
data/image2.png
data/mymusic.mp3
airsoftsoftwair

Oops, sorry, you're right. The bug is still there in 5.0. I've fixed it now.
- Fix: IsPicture(), IsSample(), IsMusic(), IsAnim(), IsVideo(), and Exists() didn't work with files linked
to the applet/executable using the LINKFILES argument (reported by Janne Peräaho)
I think these are all functions where it didn't work or did I miss another one?
jap

Post by jap »

I think you found them all. I've been trying to make these functions to read linked files: IsSample(), IsPicture(), IsMusic(), IsAnim(), and Exists().

While I was debugging my program I noticed something. I made a Mac OS X executable. Inside the application package the executable is in the Contents/MacOS folder. However, program's "home folder" is Contents/Resources and not the Contents/MacOS (I used ReadDirectory() to examine the "home folder"). This is not a problem? The functions can locate the executable and access the linked files despite of the "home folder"?
airsoftsoftwair

No, this should work fine or did you discover a problem with it? Normally I don't see why there should be a conflict.
jap

Post by jap »

Well, I was trying to list the contents of the "linked directory" with ReadDirectory() but it didn't work. I got an error message.
I was able to confirm that the linked files are in the directory by opening 4 of them. It looks to me that the ReadDirectory() function has a problem accessing a directory containing linked files.