License to sell

Anything related to Hollywood Designer goes in here
jap

License to sell

Post by jap »

From the Hollywood Guide: "Commercial use of applications created with Hollywood is only allowed with a written permission of the author."

Andreas, does this really mean that I'm not allowed to sell executables which I've created with Hollywood without your permission?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: License to sell

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

This is just a precaution to prevent that anyone is creating some sort of wrapper tool with Hollywood. This could be done because Hollywood is so dynamic. I've already written down in the guide that wrappers-are-forbidden but it's very hard to define in legal terms what would be considered a wrapper tool, and I'm not a lawyer. So I added that permission clause just to be 100% sure. So, strictly speaking, yes, you would need that permission for a commercial project. But it's no big deal, just ask me and if your program is not a wrapper tool, you'll get the permission and of course it won't cost you anything. It's really just a safety measure to prevent exploitation of my work.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Just from curiosity, what is wrapper tool?
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It means recreating Hollywood using Hollywood, i.e. you use Hollywood to create your own programming language. You would only have to write the plain program logic because you could then just "wrap" all commands to point to the Hollywood API. This would be a wrapper. Of course the license doesn't allow to write such a program.
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

mmm...
I get your point of view but...
wasnt easyer to only explicity deny the wrappern in the Hollywood license?
Honestly, if someone would do a wrapper and release it for free what you can do?
And if its a commercial product you can easy block it also without that rule since it will break the license agreements...
That imho naturally...
Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
jap

Post by jap »

Andreas wrote:So, strictly speaking, yes, you would need that permission for a commercial project. But it's no big deal, just ask me and if your program is not a wrapper tool, you'll get the permission and of course it won't cost you anything. It's really just a safety measure to prevent exploitation of my work.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm building a traditional multimedia application, nothing fishy :)