Why font works on designer but not on exes?

Anything related to Hollywood Designer goes in here
Bugala

Why font works on designer but not on exes?

Post by Bugala »

I have something like about: comic sans MS font I was using in my designer project. If i start the program through designer using the play button, it works fine.

However, if i use designer to make exes and choose to LINK the fonts to the project, when i try to run that exe it keeps complaining (from memory about this way) "Cant open font comic sans MS font size 30".

Is there something I am doing wrong, or something I dont know?

Or dou you need me detailed error report?

Edit: Although i bought 4.8,I havent installed it yet, so im still using 4.7
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Why font works on designer but not on exes?

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I think linking fonts into executables works only when you activate the platform independent font engine in project properties.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

It seems I already had activated it. Or atually I think its by default on, since i dont think i touched those properties before.

But anyway. It still works the same. Works on designer, but not on exes made by designer.

I havent yet tried first making script and then trying hollywood GUI to compile the exe.
airsoftsoftwair

Ok, what platform are you on? Does it only happen with Comic Sans MS or does it happen generally with all fonts?
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

I am using Designer in Amikit.

I will try later changing the font to something else and let you know if it works.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Heres some testing.

I have made executables only to windows in these tests, since when i first time had the error, i also tried making AOS3 executable to run on Amikit, and it failed the same, it both didint come to my mind, and i also didnt see it as necessary to try on both AOS3 and Windows, although it might have been good to do.

First of all, If i click on that big "F" (means Font) and choose one of the sizes from the list, then Comic Sans MS font works fine.

I tried sizes 27 and 35 from the list with success, and 28 and 30 that were not on list with failure.

CG Times failed to even make the Windows executable, said it couldnt find it.

EX Hira Opaque and Ex Kata Opaque both failed even when taking from list.

Georgia worked the same as Comic Sans MS, that taking size from list, no problem, taking number that is not on the list fails.

All these fonts however did work fine without any problems when using Designers own player to play the program.

Another thing i also noticed was that when i tried to turn antialiasing on for Comic Sans MS, it once again worked fine with designers player, but failed on windows executable saying "Antialiasing not supported for this font"

All these mentioned tests were done with platform independent font engine, but I also couple of times switched it off to test if it affects anything. That testing wasnt thorough, but it seemed to me like switching platform independent on or off didnt change wether the executable worked or not, except for Georgia font which actually failed to load it even to the Designer itself if font engine was off resulting in making one of my pages blank until i switched the platform independent font engine back on.

So far it would seem to me that mostly fonts work as long as you use sizes from list that comes by clicking the "F" (font) sign, although some fonts dont work at all.

About Antialiasing i did only that one test, so wether it works with some other fonts, i dont know.

I also believe this is Designer Problem only, and not necessarily Hollywood, since with designer the ex Hira Opaque and Ex Kata opaque both failed completely, and I have used these fonts on one of my Hollywood programs with success with sizes that are not on the list. This program however was done with Hollywood 4.0 or 4.5 so of course it is always possible that update to Hollywood have messed the font engine.

Do you need some other information on this problem?
airsoftsoftwair

Well, on AmigaOS3 it's all big mess and complicated because OS3 doesn't have inbuilt TrueType support. Some short info:

1) Fonts like CGTimes are no TrueType fonts! They're are in the ancient Intellifont format. Thus, they'll never work correctly on Windows or anywhere else.

2) Do not use the standard font requester on OS3 because it doesn't really support TrueType fonts. Instead, go to the "Font" tab in the text dialog, then select "Custom font" in the cycle gadget, then type in name and size of the font. Never use the big "F" button on OS3 if you plan to use the platform independent font engine!!

3) Now it should work EXCEPT for Intellifonts. These should no longer be used. So make sure you use only fonts that are in the *.ttf format (TrueType).