Sending an email

Anything related to Hollywood Designer goes in here
Tarzin

Sending an email

Post by Tarzin »

Hello,

Could it be possible to:
- send an email with Designer (IE: Open default software as it is done with OpenURL)?
- join a file to this email?

I've done a show wich collect informations. I'd like to store theses informations in a file and when user click on a button, file is joined to an email and sent to an specified email adress.

If you have any tips or trick?

Thanks for advance!
A500 / A600 / A1200 / SAM440
WinUAE OS3.9 (AmiKit) / OS4.1FE (FlowerPot)
---
https://twitter.com/TarzinCDK
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Sending an email

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

You could do this by communicating with YAM or another mail program using ARexx.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

I havent actually used that OpenURL() command (or whatever it actually is) that is in Hollywood, but if you are willing to do some work with some other laguage too, for example with perl or PHP, i believe you can make Email sending too.

What you would do is that you would in Hollywood make this for example mail sending page where you would ask for the Email where to send the message and the message.

Then you would gather them all in way of:

Code: Select all

EMAIL=GetEmail()
MESSAGE=GetMessage()

MYURL="www.myadress.com/mysendemailprogram.cgi?emailtobesent="..EMAIL.."&message="..MESSAGE

OpenUrl(MYURL)
This would result in Hollywood opening address something like:
http://www.myadress.com/mysendemailprog ... ssage=this is a test message

In practice this means that it is going to adress www.myadress.com/mysendemailprogram.cgi

and it will be sending to that mysendemailprogram.cgi two parameters "emailtobesent" and "message"

Therefore this cgi program would be simply a program that would send email to address given by parameter "emailtobesent" and message would be in the parameter "message".

This mysendemailprogram.cgi would however be hot target for spam bots, so i would recommend entering at least third parameter of "password" to that URL which would simpply be hardcoded password in that mysendemailprogram.cgi that if false one given, would refuse to send the message. That should be enough to avoid spam bots sending millions of emails thorugh our website.

And since there is no limit to number of parameters you can send through that URL, as long as URLs size limit doesnt hit, you can easily add sender, senders email, Carbon Blind Copies and all to the same system.

But it still does require that you first make that mysendemailprogram.cgi to your server with something else than Hollywood.
Tarzin

Post by Tarzin »

Thanks Bugala,

I'm creating a slideshow with AmigaOS but for Windows and Mac (I know, it's a bit strange)

So:
- Arexx won't be my solution
- CGI : I've got no knowledge in CGI programmation.

Can Hollywood launch windows executable files?
---
Ferrule Media

Post by Ferrule Media »

Hi there! :)

If you are using Designer you may launch executables by using the action object called "Run Program". I usually use the option "asynchronous start". There is also an option to link the executable inside the main executable created by Designer.. (this is nice if you need to add small programs, pdf-files, etc. )

best regards

Ferrule Media
Ferrule Media
Espevikvn 18
5521 Haugesund
Norway
www.ferrule-media.no
Tarzin

Post by Tarzin »

Thx
If you are using Designer you may launch executables by using the action object called "Run Program"
Yes, but could Designer launch Windows executable with this kind of command? (in order to compile project only for Win32 platform of course)
---
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Tarzin wrote: Yes, but could Designer launch Windows executable with this kind of command? (in order to compile project only for Win32 platform of course)
Yes.
Tarzin

Post by Tarzin »

Ok Andreas, I'll have a try
---