Forced restart no save

Forum for discussion about the Windows IDE of Hollywood
lazi

Forced restart no save

Post by lazi »

I am away for two days from my Amiga and tried to use a win7 laptop with hollywood.

Worked to days on a script with the Hollywood IDE, and lost every bit I typed these two days.
Very disappointed.

The dafult setting in the IDE is not saving at run which I did not bothered. The machine does not turned off
just put in sleep mode when needed.

After some f***ing update installed in the back the machine forced a reboot and the IDE did not said a word about
the unsaved script.

:(
lazi

Re: Forced restart no save

Post by lazi »

Maybe a save on run default setting would be better.
That is the way how it works on Cubic IDEfor example and cannnot see any drawback from that.

It is a nice possibility to check things without save but for the blokes like me who does not read manuals in time could make problems. :)
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I'm sorry for your loss of data but personally, I never ever ever ever leave the computer without hitting save first :) I'll try to implement something that saves the script if the IDE is automatically shut down but all this auto-backup stuff can get quite complicated if done properly so I've never really tackled it. Enabling auto-save by default is not a good idea when it comes to just playing around with some example scripts without really wanting to change anything permanently... if auto save were enabled many people would probably mess up the examples that come with Hollywood.
lazi

Post by lazi »

I think you are right. I just thought that it saves on running a script as used to work on my main machine.
The most annoying thing was that forced restart.

The lost script is rewritten already, and it is better then before :-)
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

And reminds me that there is this rare occurence but Windows IDE have couple of times (I would say at max 5 times in total so far) got completely stuck that it doesnt respond anything even after waiting for 15 minutes and i am forced to force close it down.

Last time it happened to me actually yesterday and I lost 15 - 30 minutes of code (luckily not that big loss since i do keep saving, but anyway).

Some programs like Open Office when it crashes or is forcebly shut down, it will still recover your text next time you open it. I have no idea how that is done, but that could be useful thing too, although not that urgent since once again, as long as you keep saving, you dont lose that much.
jalih

Post by jalih »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: I'll try to implement something that saves the script if the IDE is automatically shut down but all this auto-backup stuff can get quite complicated if done properly so I've never really tackled it.
Handle WM_QUERYENDSESSION message?
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Yes, but that of course just gives you the raw notification. It's the details that make it somewhat complicated... there could be an arbitrary number of unsaved files which have to be saved somewhere, then there need to be some pop ups at the next start that inform the user about what has happened and ask him which ones he wants to have restored etc.