2D-game tutorial in Hollywood, part 1

The place for any Hollywood tutorials
jalih

2D-game tutorial in Hollywood, part 1

Post by jalih »

I just finished part 1 of my 2D-game tutorial in Hollywood

It covers just the basics, but gives you a simple game template as a framework for your own game creations.

available: here

Any comments, insults or feedback?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: 2D-game tutorial in Hollywood, part 1

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Looks good, but I'd prefer to read it online instead of having to download and unpack a zip archive first :)
jalih

Post by jalih »

It's still a little unfinished... I plan to put the tutorial online, when I'm happy with it.

I have made some additions and improvements and will probably upload a new version soon.

I re-wrote the game template, cleaned it up quite a bit and added some helper methods like setting up the game update rate. I'm thinking of turning the game module into a real game framework. Currently I'm working on adding some kind of a game state manager into the game module.
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

Fantastic!! We need more to grow! Thanks!
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

Hello,

It's good, but i think it's much better if all of we, we upload our source code to help at the creation of game. I think, all hollywood dev can help everybody who want to make game on Amiga, better, we can create (all of dev) game in team... all of we, we are good in a lot of thing like layer coder, brush, sprite, I/O,sound, can we make a little game in team? i'm sure that it can a reality. And don't forget that Andrea can help we.
If we create game, and if we give some function to all dev, we can make very good game for AOS and Morphos. We are not a lot, but we can make a lot if we work in team for hollywood ;-)

For Andreas, just optimise 2d engine, because it is too just in speed, i have found a 2d engine speeder than doublebuffer engine, i think it is not normal... I use creatbrush (without CLS,Flip and doublebuffer), i create picture and i display it, my engine is 10 fps faster on microAone!!!!
jalih

Post by jalih »

ArtBlink wrote:It's good, but i think it's much better if all of we, we upload our source code to help at the creation of game.
All my code is free for any purpose... Use at will...

I just finished a tetris game for Hollywood. I will probably add better graphics and optional grid to make playing a little bit more pleasant for eyes. I will try to put the game along with sources available soon.

Clyde

Post by Clyde »

What about releasing this/a tutorial/workshop in the printed version of Amiga Future (http://www.amigafuture.de/) as a series?
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
jalih

Post by jalih »

Clyde wrote:What about releasing this/a tutorial/workshop in the printed version of Amiga Future (http://www.amigafuture.de/) as a series?
That's possible. I currently plan to do a complete rewrite for the tutorial after I find time to finish my game modules.

Today I fixed a couple of small bugs. I also extented my primitives module to include a image "type". With image type, it's now possible to use basic primitives like point and rectangle types for handling the drawing operations. Currently game module provides one pre-defined image and that is a buffer. Buffer provides an image to display buffer.

For example, to draw some image to display buffer at location: x = 100, y = 100 :

Code: Select all

game.buffer:draw(image.rect:addpt(100, 100), image, { x = 0, y = 0 } )
Method parameters are:
- Rectangle in image to draw, we can use the addpt() method of a rectangle type to position the rectangle in buffer to x = 100, y = 100 coordinates.
- Image to draw
- Starting offset point for the rectangle in image to draw (drawing rectangle can be smaller than image, so we can also draw partial image).

Any ideas or comments for this?