Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android: release notes

Discuss any general programming issues here
TheMartian

Re: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android: release notes

Post by TheMartian »

Hi

I can run applets on my android device, but I am a bit confused when it comes to the use of plugins. In this case I have only attempted to run the vectorgraphics.hwp plugin from either an Amiga 4.0 or Windows platform with an applet compiled on the matching platform.

The plugins for the different platforms have different size, and I presume it does matter which one you put into the Hollywood/_plugins subdirectory on the android device. Is there a specific android version of the plugins that I have missed? The GUI on Amiga has a dimmed option for android. Is that a 'future feature''?

When I run programs that need the vectorgraphics.hwp I am told that it is not available. My test program looks as follows:

id=StartPath(nil)
AddBoxToPath(id,50,50,150,250)
DrawPath(id,0,0,#RED)

Wait(200)
End

It works on the Amiga and in Windows.

Please tell me.... what am I missing?
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Of course the plugins need to compiled for ARM first. There ain't no 68000 in these devices so it doesn't really make sense to copy the Amiga binary to your smart phone. :-) But I'll soon provide Android builds of all plugins for download. Stay tuned.
p-OS

Post by p-OS »

I got some questions:

1.The Hollywood Player does not run on top of Dalvik but natively ? So it will not work on Devices based on MIPS or x86 ?

2.Would it be possible to add file type recogniton to Android for .hwa files ? So one could start Applets by directly clocking on them without starting the Hollywood Player and Applet manually.

3. Could you offer the HollywoodPlayer.apk on the Download page here or at least on some more market places like e.g. AndroidPit? Android Devices from less famous producers often do not have access to Google Market.

4. Release Notes say, there is no support for mouse functions cos there is no mouse pointer on Android? Before my tablet broke I regularly had an usb mouse connected and there was a mouse pointer i coukd move...
airsoftsoftwair

p-OS wrote: 1.The Hollywood Player does not run on top of Dalvik but natively ? So it will not work on Devices based on MIPS or x86 ?
Yes, it needs an ARM CPU.
2.Would it be possible to add file type recogniton to Android for .hwa files ? So one could start Applets by directly clocking on them without starting the Hollywood Player and Applet manually.
This is planned.
3. Could you offer the HollywoodPlayer.apk on the Download page here or at least on some more market places like e.g. AndroidPit? Android Devices from less famous producers often do not have access to Google Market.
I won't put it up for download here because I'd like to streamline all downloads through Google. But if your device is not supported by the Market, you can drop me an email and I'll send you the *.apk.
4. Release Notes say, there is no support for mouse functions cos there is no mouse pointer on Android? Before my tablet broke I regularly had an usb mouse connected and there was a mouse pointer i coukd move...
The mouse functions in the Android version are mapped to the touchscreen, so you can use MouseX() and MouseY() to get the touchscreen finger coordinates. What is not supported are the functions that allow you to install a custom mouse pointer image. Implementing these functions really isn't worth the hassle because hardly anyone use a mouse with these devices.
stefff285

Post by stefff285 »

hello andreas hello all

i know the subject is already being answered but when could you give us, sell us
a native android compiler ? it would be fantastic ! due to differents or types or arm
or else, perhaps it isn't so simple but it would be so great !

this doesn't mean i canno't continue soon to try to script under hollywood 5.3 on
amikit and morphos 3.3, this software is a must have and the work of artblink
about the ide for morphos and more is great too

regards
airsoftsoftwair

It's technically not easily possible to create an Android compiler because all *.apk packages have to be codesigned using personal keys. The only way would be to provide a Hollywood link library to use with the Android NDK but this requires some technical knowledge.
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Littel qiestion related to Android HW player...

Why gfx draw was so SLOW?
I made a little script that opens a 800x600 screen and plot single points and made about 400 lines(so 800 x 400 points), on mìy Pegasos2 it gets about 5 seconds to do that, I tryed on my phone (XperaSP dualcore@1700) and I turned off it since it gets so much that I cant wait...I dunno but maybe it can took something like an hour or so to do taht task...
Its normal or something I made worng? But seems related only to non acclerated gfx...
Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
airsoftsoftwair

You need to encapsulate your drawing calls in a BeginRefresh() / EndRefresh() section for every frame. Otherwise every single call to Plot() or Line() will cause a complete refresh because the Android backend is nothing else than an OpenGL double buffer and flipping buffers for every pixel is a little bit insane :) Thus, use BeginRefresh() and EndRefresh().

See: http://www.hollywood-mal.com/docs/html/ ... fresh.html
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Does BeginDoubleBuffer() and Flip() do this same thing, or is one or other more efficient than other in Androids case?
airsoftsoftwair

If you're using a double buffer, you must not use BeginRefresh() and EndRefresh() of course. Double buffers handle all this automatically.