Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android: release notes

Discuss any general programming issues here
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Hollywood Player 5.1 for Android: release notes

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Clyde wrote: Also the buttons at the buttom (Info, Play, ...) are very, _very_ small. Not so good for touch on small devices like Phones.
Hmm, what resolution do you have on your phone? The control buttons use a 40-pixel height.
xabierpayet

Post by xabierpayet »

another great feature for hollywood, congratulations, working fine on xperia arc, but as someone pointed before the icons for prefs, play etc, are very small in
phones, the full screen mode dont work here, maybe i need adapt the program to the screen resolution and maybe is a good idea save the prefs state, why ever i need select the flags when i launch the player.
good work andreas
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

One more question that comes to my mind.

Unfortunately my phones Android version is too small for me to get better idea of this, but..

If i want to make a game to sell it on android market, then how does it in practice go from buyers point of view.

That could it go as simply as:

Buyer goes to shop, buys and clicks on "Install"

At that point the installer would install both hollywood and the game for example in way that even if you would already have hollywood player by name "Holywood player" in your android, it would isntall another copy of it by name "games name".

What I am after is that then the customer would have icon in his device that would read "Games name", click on that, and it would start that hollywood player installation that has nothing else but the game.

I am hoping of something like this to make it as much like every other buyable game as possible, since if they first ned to install hollywood, after that install (or even worse - copy) the game to right folder, it might seem too hard for many people, since they are wanting simplicity.
xabierpayet

Post by xabierpayet »

fullscreen mode work fine now, playing with the setting the problem is solved
airsoftsoftwair

xabierpayet wrote:maybe is a good idea save the prefs state, why ever i need select the flags when i launch the player
Just specify your desired settings directly in the applet (in the @DISPLAY preprocessor commands) or use a *.ini file next to your applet. Check out the documentation to learn how it's done.
airsoftsoftwair

Bugala wrote:If i want to make a game to sell it on android market, then how does it in practice go from buyers point of view.
Currently not possible. You can not compile your own *.apk Android applets because building an *.apk involves several tools from the Java and Android SDK like a keystore generator and a jarsigner. Every *.apk has to be signed with a keystore. Replicating all these things in the cross-platform Hollywood compiler is way too much work. But I might release a package containing the Hollywood Player as a shared object along with a skeleton Android project which would allow users to build their own *.apk based on a Hollywood applet. But you would need Linux, Windows or Mac for that because you need the Java and Android SDK.

The only way to distribute your Hollywood program to other users currently is to tell them to download the player and put your applet into the Hollywood directory. Not very difficult.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Not very difficult I know, but I have personally not installed many programs / games because of it first demanding me to install something else.

It is both the laziness as well as it makes you feel worried about what is happening, that "why is this so hard to do, why cant it just be installed by one push of a button like the rest?".

But Im asking one more about this thing, just in case. But I can anyway sell a game made by Hollywood?

That from buyers point of view it would be something like this:

He comes to page about hollywood game in android marketplace. There is "Buy Now" button and mention that it requires buyer to install Hollywood.

So buyer buys the application then clicks "Install" and then it installs that game inside Hollywood, or is it so that buyer just downloads the file, and then still needs to copy himself the file inside hollywood?
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

I have tested some apps mines on Acer with Android 4.x and the BGPic with trasparent give error and also when multiple displays, but with the Bed Games runs very well as the buttons touching the screen.
airsoftsoftwair

Bugala wrote:But I can anyway sell a game made by Hollywood?
Sure, you can.
Bugala wrote:So buyer buys the application then clicks "Install" and then it installs that game inside Hollywood, or is it so that buyer just downloads the file, and then still needs to copy himself the file inside hollywood?
Yes, he needs to copy the *.hwa file manually to the SD card. This can't be done automatically via Google Play.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

uh, that copying the file himself is the worst thing of all. For example I myself actually dont know how to do that (although im pretty sure i can figure it out). But if i would be buying some game and they would tell me to copy the downlaoded file to somewhere, I most likely wouldnt buy it, since why bother when i can buy one of the many other games that i dont have to have any hassle with.

But it is anyway a great thing that you can offer your game as a bonus to android devices too. I think people are more willing to go through the hassle if they buy say PC version of the game and they get android version as a bonus, than when they are buying it directly from android market. For in android market you start comparing it to other games that are one click installs.