MacOS IDE

Discuss any general programming issues here
Figgy78

MacOS IDE

Post by Figgy78 »

Hi!

Does anyone here code in MacOS?

I code on different platforms, including the Mac, but it would be way easier if Hollywood was integrated with one of the many IDE's that are available.
Maybe someone here has managed to make a package for in ex. TextMate, based on the lua.package that is already available? I have tried, but I gave up, as I'm still quite n00b when it comes to Hollywood.

Any thoughts?

Figgy78
sashapont

Re: MacOS IDE

Post by sashapont »

I use coda 2. It is very usefull
Figgy78

Post by Figgy78 »

sashapont wrote:I use coda 2. It is very usefull
Ok. I tried Coda before. Great editor, but how do you colour code syntax? And can you fold functions and stuff like that?
sashapont

Post by sashapont »

i set java in menu text->syntax mode
Figgy78

Post by Figgy78 »

sashapont wrote:i set java in menu text->syntax mode
So Java is pretty close to the Hollywood syntax? I use Lua in TextMate, but it's not perfect.

E
Figgy78

Post by Figgy78 »

Seems like Lua/Javascript all work in Coda2, but obviously you can't right click a command for help or launch the code via Hollywood.app or any of that goodness.

On another note.. When you right click on a file in Finder and select Open with Hollywood.app, where does the debug output end up? I tried looking in the console, but couldn't find anything.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

If you open Hollywood from the BASH prompt, the debug output comes out there. If you open from the Finder, there is no debug output. The Finder is for finished work only, apparently.
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
Figgy78

Post by Figgy78 »

It is kinda anoying that Windows is the only viable platform for coding in Hollywood right now.
We really need a port of the Hollywood IDE to all the other platforms.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

There should be some IDEs that you can easily add support for Hollywood to.
Figgy78

Post by Figgy78 »

There should be some IDEs that you can easily add support for Hollywood to
Yes, there is, but so far, this hasn't really been done. You have some limited support by using the LUA syntax built into some IDEs,
but context sensitive search and compiling/debuging is also something that I think most users would prefer to have built into the IDE.

Even on Windows, the closest thing to a feature complete IDE for Hollywood is Notepad++ with support for Hollywood V6.1.
I haven't tried the UltraEdit one, but judging by the size of the file (10K) I'm assuming it's not as feature complete as the Notepad++ one?

Anyway... The one thing Hollywood really is missing is an IDE written in Hollywood, running on all platforms. That would be a major improvement and make it a viable alternative to other languages for a lot more people.

My humble opinion.