Some JPEG pictures don't work...

Discuss any general programming issues here
pecaN

Some JPEG pictures don't work...

Post by pecaN »

Hi,
has anybody encoutered any problems with JPEG pictures? Most of them work for me but some of them don't and even if they pass the IsPicture() test, Hollywood can't load them and says thay are of unsupported/unknown format...

thanx pecaN
SamuraiCrow

Re: Some JPEG pictures don't work...

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Are they traditional JFIF or JPEG2000?
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Well, I must admit that I hardly use JPG files so I don't know the exact specifications but most of the nonworking pictures are photos made with my Sony Xperia and they are not older than 2 years... and when talking about JPEG2000 of course I tried to include jpeg2000 plugin but no result there.

But more interesting question for me is why a picture passes a IsPicture() test as I wrote in my previous post ? If it passes I presume that Hollywood supports it but it won't load....?

here's a short code ripped directly from my proggy:

/* start of code rip */

Repeat
path$ = FileRequest("Select picture 1")
Until IsPicture(path$) = TRUE

LoadBrush(1,path$)

/* end of code rip */

So this code should call a requester, you choose a picture and if the picture is not supported, the requester appears again and again until you choose a valid picture.
But If I choose a JPG picture, it passes the IsPicture() control but then I get the error that picture is unknown or unsupported... ?
jPV

Post by jPV »

I have never run into that kind of issue myself... could you share one example picture which doesn't work?
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

OK, thank you for your effort.
Please send me an e-mail to pecank@seznam.cz with "JPEG" as a subject, I will send you some pics that don't work. I forgot to mention that I have Hollywood 6

pecaN

jPV wrote:I have never run into that kind of issue myself... could you share one example picture which doesn't work?
jPV

Post by jPV »

The test images seem to work fine with Hollywood 7 under MorphOS here. I tested with your code snippet, and no problems, images are loaded and also displayed correctly. Images also seem to be traditional JPEGs, not JPEG 2000 images. Maybe I'll test more tomorrow or if I bother to revert to Hollywood 6...

Does it make any difference if you try with:
LoadBrush(1,path$,{Loader="native"})
...or with:
LoadBrush(1,path$,{Loader="inbuilt"})
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

thank you for your fast reply... It's strange taht they work OK under Hollywood7..

Of course I tried different loading methods before posting my problem... no change, still don't work...

Would be nice If you tried it with Hollywood6, thank you!!
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

@pecaN:
Are you on MorphOS as well or on a different system?

Of course it could be that jPV's test only succeeded because MorphOS datatypes could open the image after Hollywood's inbuilt loader failed on it. The only way to make sure that it works correctly with the inbuilt Hollywood loader is to use {Loader="inbuilt"} which forces Hollywood to use its inbuilt loaders and no datatypes. Don't know if jPV tested this.
jPV

Post by jPV »

Yeah, I tried with both inbuilt and native options, and both worked.
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Oh I am so sorry my friends, the most important information I've missed in my post :-(

I work on Win7 and for loading pictures I tried both inbuilt and native loaders but If I understood the docs right Windows don't have own native loading method for pics?

Anyway maybe the problem is that all the pics that don't work are photos taken by mobile phones - either with my Sony XPERIA E104 or with another phones of my friends so maybe they save the images in some strange format??

thanx again for your effort and help , this issue is quite important for me... pecaN