Speed Issues with movelayer on HD resolution.

Discuss any general programming issues here
Bugala

Speed Issues with movelayer on HD resolution.

Post by Bugala »

I just tried my "Kings of Israel" - game with my SAM440EP machine, and i didnt expect it to be so deadbeat slow.

As example, one of the things i keep repeatedly doing is to create a black transparent box to the screen, and on top of it i write white text to display some text to the screen. When mouse is clicked, text and box goes away.

When using it on my PC, it looks like textbox appearing on screen since it is fast, but on my SAM i can see how first the box is drawn, then text is displayed, and after that, finally the box is stretched (in height) to fit the text.

Also, when i move anything on the screen using "Movelayer" it is also very slow compared to pc. It is so slow it is not even playable anymore.

However, part of the problem is probably the forced scaling. For I dont have HD display in my SAM, therefore game needs to do stretching all the time.

I notice a slow down (and even greater if using smoothscale) even on my pc when i resize the window to some other size. So chances are that game would run almost smooth if there would be HD display to try it on.

But all in all, my main point is that i didnt expect SAM440 EP to be having any trouble runing that game, despite the continuous stretching due to wrong display size, since after all, only one thing is moved on screen at a time.

Hence comes the question of is there anything I can do to speed things up? Is there something i dont perhaps know that would make it much faster?

Or is the problem that using HD is simply too heavy duty for at least SAM440EP? I guess X1000 could still handle at least this, maybe even more.

I am asking this also to know how to work in future when there are intended to be moving more than just one thing on screen at a time.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Speed Issues with movelayer on HD resolution.

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It's impossible to answer this question because it's too general. You need to examine your code carefully and see what is really slowing things down. MoveLayer() itself isn't any slower on higher resolutions unless autoscaling is enabled.