HGF updated

Discuss any general programming issues here
jalih

HGF updated

Post by jalih »

Hi all,

I just re-wrote most of my Hollywood Game Framework. It's now more modular and uses OOP for purposes where it matters. I dare to say, it's the easiest way to program hardware accelerated double buffered games in Hollywood.

Currently supported features:
- easy game loop handling (Delta timing done right. Simulation runs at full speed but skips draw events if necessary.)
- game state manager
- tile maps
- bitmap font support
- Inferno OS style draw functionality
- scanner and parser

Download it from here

It comes with a demo project showing new functionality.

As always, some feed back would be nice to get.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: HGF updated

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Looks like you're using some kind of manual throttle in the game loop in HGFgame:Run(). For the best performance you should leave this to Flip() which will automatically synchronize with the monitor's vertical refresh, i.e. it will wait for the vblank and then refresh automatically.
jalih

Post by jalih »

airsoftsoftwair wrote:Looks like you're using some kind of manual throttle in the game loop in HGFgame:run(). For the best performance you should leave this to Flip() which will automatically synchronize with the monitor's vertical refresh, i.e. it will wait for the vblank and then refresh automatically.
I am using fixed time step for my game loop. Drawing speed is limited by Flip() and vblank but if it takes more time to draw the frame than what is the game update rate, we must play catch up and consume game time by taking fixed time steps. This way game always updates at same speed but might skip draw frames.

Currently some aliasing effects are possible, but support for interpolating between last state and next state is coming soon. This should allow smoother movement.
jalih

Post by jalih »

Just fixed my bitmap font support module...

- added clipping, so now text going out of screen boundaries is handled properly
Mazze

Post by Mazze »

jalih wrote:Hi all,

I just re-wrote most of my Hollywood Game Framework. It's now more modular and uses OOP for purposes where it matters. I dare to say, it's the easiest way to program hardware accelerated double buffered games in Hollywood.

Currently supported features:
- easy game loop handling (Delta timing done right. Simulation runs at full speed but skips draw events if necessary.)
- game state manager
- tile maps
- bitmap font support
- Inferno OS style draw functionality
- scanner and parser

Download it from here

It comes with a demo project showing new functionality.

As always, some feed back would be nice to get.
The link gives me a 404 error. Is HGF still downloadable from somewhere?