Lua version used for Hollywood?

Discuss any general programming issues here

Lua version used for Hollywood?

Postby SamuraiCrow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello!

In an effort to try to make Hollywood faster on the 68k Amiga models I wanted to try different compiler options on the Lua that was used as the basis for Hollywood. Specifically, I wanted to try out https://github.com/bebbo/amigaos-cross-toolchain which is based on GCC 6.2 with some custom passes added to the backend. I found a mention on Lua: user projects website that claims it is 5.0.2 so that is what I'm going to tinker with for now. I've been googling for a while so I'd better start testing. I see that 5.0.3 is out now too if there is a bugfix in it I'll check it out.

Cheers!
SamuraiCrow

Re: Lua version used for Hollywood?

Postby p-OS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:26 pm

The entry in Lua user projects seems to be quite old.
But according to HW7 docs (chapter Credits) ist is still Lua 5.02
p-OS

Postby SamuraiCrow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to run the cross-compiler-toolchain build script. The installer is in Python but lacks the plugin to unpack an LHa file at this time.
SamuraiCrow

Postby airsoftsoftwair » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Yes, it is still Lua 5.0.2 but with lots of modifications, see here for an overview.
airsoftsoftwair

Postby SamuraiCrow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks airsoftsoftwair!

I've gotten the M68k GCC 6.2 cross-toolchain to compile on my Linux box. Now that I know which version of Lua to use as a benchmark to test the C compiler I'll have to clear up a duplicated definition in the default includes in the toolchain and compare to the VBCC code. I hope this produces some cleaner code so Hollywood will work better on a 68k Amiga.
SamuraiCrow

Return to General programming